All of us have heard this numerous of times: “you need to drink lots of water to stay healthy”, so obviously I assume that you all know by now that water is EXTREMELY important. But have you ever stopped and thought about all the benefits of water? Well if you haven’t, then your in the right place, because today I am going to tell you about ALL the benefits that water has to offer, from great skin to weight loss… So let’s get started.
Why Drink Water?
To function properly, all the cells and organs of the body need H2O. It is also used to lubricate the joints, protect the spinal cord and other sensitive tissues, regulate body temperature, and assist the passage of food through the intestines. Sounds fancy right?
Although some of the H2O required by the body is obtained through foods with a high water content – soups, tomatoes, oranges – the majority is gained through drinking water.
During every day functioning, H2O is lost by the body, and this needs to be replaced. It is noticeable that we lose water through activities such as sweating, but water is even lost when breathing.
Drinking water, be it from the tap or a bottle, is the best source of fluid for the body. Beverages such as milk and juices are also decent sources of fluid, but beverages containing alcohol and caffeine, such as soft drinks, coffee, and beer, are not ideal because they often contain empty calories.
Quick Facts About H2O:
- Humans are 70 percent water, and our blood is 90 percent water
- Water is essential for the kidneys to function
- When dehydrated, the skin can become more vulnerable to skin disorders and wrinkling (no one wants wrinkles right, so drink that H2O sister!)
- Water removes toxins and waste products from the body thereby cleansing it.
Your Skin and H2O:
1. It is essential to maintain the optimum skin moisture and deliver essential nutrients to the skin cells. It replenishes the skin tissue and increases its elasticity. This helps delay the appearance of signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
2. It is a perfect replacement for your expensive anti-ageing treatments. It keeps the skin well hydrated and glistening, thereby, enhancing the complexion.For soft and supple skin, drinking an adequate amount of water is more important than applying topical creams.
3. Drinking enough H2O combats skin disorders like psoriasis, wrinkles and eczema. It also increases the metabolic rate and improves digestive system to flush out toxins from the body. This in turn gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
4. A cold bath eliminates redness of the skin and sets the skin for better makeup application. After opening the pores by washing them with warm water, you can seal them by splashing your face with cold water. Cold water tightens the pores and prevents them from getting clogged. It reduces the appearance of acne.
Your hair and H2O:
Cold water rinse leaves the hair glossy and shiny. The cold temperature constricts the hair cuticles to make the strands smoother and more reflective. It also prevents dirt from accumulating on the scalp and makes hair stronger.
Benefits of Drinking H2O:
Keeping Muscles Healthy:
Muscles are made up of up to 75% water, so it is necessary to provide them enough H2O. Having enough water will help keep their contraction normal and prevent muscular cramps; It will help you to exercise more making you stronger and healthy.
Keep Wrinkles Away:
H2O keeps skin cells hydrated and working fine so drink more to keep wrinkles away. H2O plumps the skin cells up making them look less wrinkled. Also it flushes impurities and toxins out of the system keeping your face fresh and clean and thus aid in reducing the breakouts and acne.
When you drink less water, the brain takes it as a survival threat and starts to store more water in the body creating swollen feet, hands and legs. Drink more water so that your body gets back to normal.
Helps in Weight Loss:
When there is a loss of H2O, the kidney cannot function at its best making it shed excess burden on the liver. Your liver helps to burn off the fat into energy but when it has to do the excess work of the kidney, it cannot burn as much fat into energy as it should, resulting in fat deposit. Take H2O in good quantity to prevent fat deposit and to keep yourself healthy. So you can say that losing weight is one of the advantages of drinking H2O.
So, there you have it… I hope that from now on you will drink sufficient amounts of H2O! For more information on how to maintain a healthy body, keep an eye out for Friday’s post!