Acrylic or Gel?
We all know the immense pressure that us ladies are under when you’re getting your nails done and you are asked… which colour would you like? Eeeek, I just shrug thinking about it, because frankly we never know until the moment we’re placed in the hot seat. Well, unfortunately I can’t actually write a blog to help you with choosing a colour or style. To make it a bit easier though, maybe you should opt for colours that are relevant to the season. But that’s just a thought!
However I can inform you on the difference between Acrylic nails and Gel overlays. In this post I will not raise my opinion on which is better, because let’s face it, each person has their own taste. I am merely here to inform you of the pro’s and con’s of both these applications. Then the decision is up to whether your a gel or acrylic type of girl!
Pro’s of Gel Overlays
- Gel Overlays tend to look more natural.
- There is minimal to no damage to the nail bed.
- The application time is faster to that of the acrylic application.
- Gel overlays are actually considered to be more eco-friendly, due to the fact that they lack the fumes of that of acrylics.
Con’s of Gel Overlays
- They tend to be a tad bit more expensive than acrylic applications.
- Gel Overlays don’t usually last as long as acrylic, although they can last up to three weeks when applied properly and taken care of.
Pro’s of Acrylic Application
- Acrylic overlay can be a great extension for women with weak and brittle nails, as the application will give a strengthening layer to your own nail.
- If you chew your nails, acrylic is also for you… So you can fend off a bad habit whilst looking pretty!
- Acrylic overlay is cheaper than that of gel applications.
- This application will definitely last longer than that of the gel overlay.
Con’s of Acrylic Application
- This application can be very damaging to the natural nail underneath the acrylic, which can lead to nail fungi and can create a breeding ground for bacteria.
- It can be difficult to make acrylic applications look as natural as gel overlays.
- Acrylic applications use strong chemicals and can be damaging to the body over a long period of time.
So, that’s it. Now the choice is all up to you!
I hope that you have enjoyed this post.